News Partners Contact Us

Today’s job - Range Rover Sport.

The brief – This Range Rover Sport was showing signs of a very poor wash regime, too many automatic car washes. The car was badly swirled, which the owner wanted removing before a coat of long life wax was applied to protect it winter long.


Process –

Washed with Optimum No Rinse using Sonus / Eurow mitts.
Dried with Sonus towels and Megs Last Touch
Clayed with Sonus Green.
Masked with 3m 3434 tape.

Paint Depth Gauge readings –

Using my Positect gauge, we carried out a full inspection of the vehicle, taking 9 readings per 12” sq section. This is something that we always do, to find out a starting point prior to commencing polishing.

The findings –

Some of the vehicle had received paint (2 doors?) that was also visible to the eye.
Some of the vehicle had spot repairs (couple of areas on a rear quarter.)
The vehicle had been mechanically polished in its past, quite aggressively. We found areas where the total paint thickness remaining was a lot less than it should have been - 50 microns in areas, though the rest of the vehicle showed a 120 micron average. We measured inside door shuts etc and these were all in the 60+ micron area.

After discussion, it was decided to make good where we could safely, and just tidy up any areas concern. No point trying to impress the owner by trying to carry out a full defect removal, as I don’t think ‘burn through’ would impress the vehicles owner.

The polishing –

I’ve done a couple of these Range Rover sports to date, and am quite familiar with the paintwork. We masked off a test section none the less, and took a set of pre polishing readings. These were to be used as part of a before and after polishing calculation, to see how much total thickness of clear coat was being removed by the process, to ensure we stayed within safe limits.

Some half 'n half's to show how the process worked-


Using a Meguiar’s W8006 polishing pad on the Metabo rotary, and using 2 x ½” lines of Menzerna Intensive Polish PO85RD3.02 we worked a 18” section as follows-

On speed 1 using light pressure, pick up the polish into the pad.
1 pass over the section at speed 1 with medium pressure to spread the polish.
4 or 5 passes over the section at speed 3 with medium to heavy pressure, getting lighter after each pass..
1 pass at speed 1 with medium pressure to refine the finish.
1 pass at speed 1 with light pressure to finish.

Wiped off any residue and the panel looked like this –


Note –

You can still see some oily reside marks from the polishes lubricating oils. We tend not to heavy buff of these oils straight after polishing, prefer to coat the finish polished vehicle with Chemical Guy’s EZ cream glaze, as the next step, which aids the removal of any of these oils.

We took some more readings to see what sort of thickness of paint we’d removed using this process, and was a little shocked to see we’d removed most of the defects, with only a less than 5 microns removal of paint. Did a 2nd test section to confirm these findings, but the results were the same. This was the type of finish that we were able to create. While Range Rover paint is on the softer end of the scale, the Menzerna Intensive Polish PO85RD3.02 did polish down to a rather nice last step product ready finish, by rotary on this paint type.

The bright ‘flash’ lighting in the showroom not doing justice to the clarity of finish that we were able to create, safely.

We continued around the rest of the vehicle, IP PO85RD3.02 and W8006 pad, stopping where possible to do a 2nd hit of polishing, to lessen some of the deeper scratches. All this work was done using regular checks with the Positect PTG.

A quick coat of Chemical Guy’s EZ Cream Glaze, then followed straight on with a coat of Collinite 476 wax, applied by hand with a spritz of Chemical Guy’s Pro QD to help aid get the thinnest and evenness of coat. I think that everyone already knows how good this wax is, and using the QD spritz to apply made application a breeze.

A quick wipe over with a pair of Mf’s, and the Range Rover Sport was good to go.

The afters -

East Coast Web Solutions